Income Tax Assistance
The Community Action Agencies operate an extraordinarily successful Volunteer Income Tax Program working closely with the IRS and community volunteers. Free tax help is available for Vermonters who have low to moderate income and their families. Claim the tax credits that are due at no cost to you!
We have multiple sites for Vermonters to find free tax assistance
- BROC: Rutland and Bennington
- Capstone: Barre, Randolph, Morrisville,
- CVOEO: South Burlington, Middlebury, St Albans
- SEVCA: Brattleboro, Westminster, Windsor
- NEKCA: St Johnsbury & other pop-up sites
Free in-person tax preparation
Vermonters and their families that earn under $60,000/year are eligible for our free tax preparation program. Note that rental income and other advanced tax forms are out of scope for us. Please call to ask.
Prepare your 2023 taxes on your own time for no charge at myfreetaxes.com
There is phone/online assistance if you get stuck, or you can call your local Community Action Agency.
Free Online tax preparation
Vermonters and their families that earn under $73,000/year are eligible for myfreetaxes.com. Complete your tax return from the comfort of your own home.
There is phone/online assistance if you need, or you can call your local Community Action Agency.
VOLUNTEER with Us!
Volunteering for VITA is an honorable task that requires commitment throughout the season, and training beforehand to become an IRS certified VITA volunteer preparer.
As a volunteer, you may have the option to meet with clients in person or work remotely entering tax info into our online system. Once you get the hang of it, taxes are relatively straightforward and volunteers find it very rewarding to help our clients navigate the complexity of the U.S. tax process.
To volunteer contact the nearest Community Action Office: BROC, Capstone, CVOEO, NEKCA or SEVCA.
- Learn how to do taxes
- Assisting low income tax payers to obtain valuable credits
- Build your resume
- Give back to your community
- Bonus- file your own taxes for free!
- A basic understanding of computers (access to computer if volunteering from home)
- Conversational fluency in speaking and reading English
- A desire to support your community are the only qualifications.
- Availability 2-4 hours/week, Max. 50 hours/week, Avg. 6 hours/week (coming 1-5 days/week)
Other VITA volunteer opportunities:
- Scheduling Assistant
- Greeter/Support Staff